Copyright

All content is provided for your reading enjoyment. Please do not copy/use anything from this site for publication, contests, or personal gain. I am delighted to share my pages with you; if you use something, please give me credit and refer to my blog. Thanks. Dianne

Thursday, July 18, 2013

FYV: Lesson 1: Who Am I?

Lesson 1  June 24, 2013
Storytelling!

I am so excited about this summer activity! When I retired last year, I decided that I wanted to get in touch with my creative side. (if I had one!)  I began keeping a journal, was introduced to art journaling and gave it a try. Then I discovered zentangles and I was hooked!  My creative side is ever so slowly and cautiously emerging, and I am loving it!



LESSON ONE:  Prompt 2 (Writing Based)
Expand upon 2- 3 of the questions that you'd like to answer most.
1. Who are you?  Use this space to describe yourself (adjectives, prose, drawings).  
Who am I?  I am one of a long line of adventurous, pioneer, God-fearing, loving people of Irish, English and German descent.  I have the easy-going spirit of the Irish, (and sometimes the temper,) the decorum (sometimes) of the so proper English and the stoic nature of the German.
I am a devoted wife, loving mother and doting Nana.  I am a home-maker, African violet water-er, brownie-maker and  folder of clothes.  I am a rescuer of retired greyhounds, and lover of all creatures. I am a retired nurse, proud care-giver to our country’s finest, veterans of the armed services.  These are my titles, my ties to relationships that help define my roles and who I am.
And, I am me – short, grey-haired, blue-eyed little old lady, pleasingly plump with wrinkles. I am a lover of life!  I am curious, a seeker, a learner. I am a spiritual being, a nature lover, especially of all creatures, great and small.  I feel at one with all things. I am a reader of books, listener of classical music, poet, journalist, creator and genealogist. 
I have a dark side. I am something of a loner, which is often mis-interpreted as being aloof or cold. I am a pack-rat, procrastinator and a perfectionist –but I am better than I used to be.  Did I say I was a bit stubborn?
My greatest accomplishment is being married to the same wonderful man for 48 years, and my next is giving the world two fine young men.

5. What styles do you find aesthetically pleasing?  Modern? Vintage? Minimalist?
Don’t worry about naming a specific style, just write about what you are drawn to visually.

I am drawn to simple things – the soft colors of wild violets, the pinks and purples of hyacinths, the brilliant yellow of daffodils and calming white of daisies…..
Sunlight dappled across a breakfast table, the hazy, washed-out colors of mid-day, the sight, sound and smell of rain enjoyed…

I am drawn to the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia and a cabin of logs, weathered to a soft grey, nestled deep in the woods.  

I am drawn to simple things … much used, much loved humble items of the past….Blue Willow china, the mellow patina of old wood, the look and feel of old wooden spoons and the simplicity of old bowls and crocks.

My style is simple – a single strand of pearls, a silky blouse and old soft jeans.

I am drawn to the beach – white puffy clouds in a bright blue sky, the sun on my face, the wind in my hair and damp sand on my toes. The ebb and flow of the ocean. 

The colors I am drawn to ….

Blue - Blue symbolizes: youth, spirituality, truth, peace

Green - Green symbolizes: life, nature, fertility, well being

Yellow - wisdom, joy, happiness, intellectual energy


LESSON ONE:  Prompt 3 (Picture Based)

Start taking pictures every day. Set a goal (5 pictures a day) and really work at capturing the little details that happen throughout each day.

I added the photos of flowers because I wanted to “stop and smell the roses.”  Sometimes you just need to slow down and enjoy the moment.


 
  
Well, that's Lesson 1 pretty much!  Whew!  I have a blog!  (I think!)
Now on to Lesson 2 - which will be shorter!



No comments:

Post a Comment