Copyright

All content is provided for your reading enjoyment. Please do not copy/use anything from this site for publication, contests, or personal gain. I am delighted to share my pages with you; if you use something, please give me credit and refer to my blog. Thanks. Dianne

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Story Coach #1: How the Storyteller Emerged

August 18, 2013
A  new class tempted me! I am now participating in the Story Coach and expect that by December I will be a world-renowned author! Well, OK, maybe that is a little ambitious. I want to learn how to put a story together so that I can tell my stories about my life and that of my parents and grandparents - something to leave my children and grandchildren when they finally reach that age when they want to know. Unfortunately, for too many of us, that age doesn't come along until those who have the answers are gone. That is why I am here. Please feel free to leave your comments (and I hope you will,) just remember, I am new here, so be kind. Previous entries were written in another class I took this summer, Finding Your Voice.  Now...on to this story.

Story Coach Lesson 1: How the Play Changed

How the Storyteller Emerged 

Last week I wrote a story, “Eating Goober Peas” about the time when Bug ate all Granddaddy Dye’s peanuts he had prepared for planting. Then I revamped a scrapbook page I had done to tell the story. The new scrapbook page has a better form, more color and enhances the story I had written.  I have always enjoyed reading, and in the past year I have started to journal. At the beginning of summer I enrolled in the Find Your Voice Workshop to learn more about writing.  This has been an exciting time for me learning how to put a story together and use photos to compliment and help tell the story.

The day after I retired, eighteen months ago, two things happened to start me on this journey.  A friend gave me a journal and I left for a Girls Week Away at the beach. What better way to begin retirement than to be at the beach – and write about it!  I found that I enjoyed capturing the events of the day and decided that I wanted to get in touch with my creative self – if she existed! 

Although I had written  poetry in the past, I had never written stories.  I have never been able to draw and I have been intimidated by painting since first grade when I painted my Thanksgiving turkey red because I couldn't remember how to make brown. It isn't surprising that I have never attempted any type of creative project. 

Reading has always been my favorite (safe? no competition? No criticism?) form of entertainment. My Mother read to me as a small child, and I was soon turning the pages to my Little Golden Books. They gave way to the Bobbsey Twins, and as I grew, to Anne of Greene Gables and Nancy Drew.  As a teen I often made up stories to tell my babysitting charges but never wrote them down. This love of reading continued right into adulthood. My passion has always been historical novels, biographies and mystery novels. I love reading about other people, other places and times. Journaling has not replaced reading, but has evolved from it.

It has been interesting to me to discover  how much I enjoy putting my own words on paper. From time to time throughout my adulthood, I have started a journal. Sometimes it lasted a couple of months, sometimes a few weeks, more often only a few days. Having a few exciting days to document while I was at the beach, was enough to get me hooked. Always a seeker, I went to the internet to read more about keeping a journal. That is when I discovered art journals! Soon I was buying paints and brushes, colored pencils and pens and trying my hand at art journaling.  I wasn’t very good at it, but –somewhere along the way, I came across a little saying, “To be creative, we must first lose our fear of being wrong.”   Examples seemed to cover the gamut of artistic ability, in fact, there seemed to be no wrong way to do it!  It just looked like fun.  Prompts were plentiful and covered a wide variety of subjects. I was home free!  I could throw caution to the wind and draw, paint, color and write to my heart’s content without fear of criticism!

Another pastime has played a part in my shift in activity - genealogy. The internet has opened all manner of possibilities for discovering information about my ancestors. Being retired has given me the time to devote to research and my hobbies. I want to document stories of my life and that of my parents and grandparents and stories that have been handed down. I want my grandchildren and their children to know that I was here, that I was more than just a name or a face in a frame.

With so much information on the internet, with You Tube and Pinterest, there is no end to inspiration, and I have had no problem finding plenty of subjects to write about. Add to that the current interest in Smash Books and all the wonderfully delightful inserts and tapes and papers that it has been a joy to give myself over to this new pastime.  And, now that I am retired, I have plenty of time to indulge myself!

Over the summer, I enjoyed the Find Your Voice workshop, and was encouraged to write stories and poems, to use photos to tell a story, - to create. I was pushed out of my comfort zone. In the process, I discovered that I enjoyed this new freedom, this new form of play.  I look forward to learning new and exciting things from the Story Coach and Get It Scraped workshops. I will always read - I have just expanded the written word to my written word, and telling my stories with art and  photos. And I have many stories to tell!


Pause for thought…

"That man is successful who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much,
who has gained the respect of the intelligent men and the love of children;
who has filled his niche and accomplished his task; who leaves the world
better than he found it, whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or
a rescued soul; who never lacked appreciation of earth’s beauty or failed to
express it; who looked for the best in others and gave the best he had".
— Robert Louis Stevenson

  

 If you encounter a problem leaving a comment, (quite a few people have) please email me:
dyeconley@gmail.com.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment