Copyright

All content is provided for your reading enjoyment. Please do not copy/use anything from this site for publication, contests, or personal gain. I am delighted to share my pages with you; if you use something, please give me credit and refer to my blog. Thanks. Dianne

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Story Coach #2: California Guy

Story Coach Lesson 2: When the News Came

California Guy


The news of Luke’s death came on Monday afternoon,  August 12.   I had just returned home from a week with the Grandchildren and although I don’t usually check the phone for messages, for some reason that day, I did. Ben, another cousin, had called that morning and left the message. 

Ben‘s mother, Daddy’s sister, is elderly and with his, “Dianne, this is Ben,,” I immediately thought the worst. His next words, however, brought relief, “Nothing’s wrong in our family.”  Then he continued, to give me the shocking news. Luke was only 57, five years younger than Ben, 11 years younger than me.  He died of arteriosclerosis.

To our knowledge, he had experienced no health problems of any kind; he was always camping or hiking in the mountains out west or traveling to far away places on some adventure.  Ben and I chatted briefly and he promised to call when he knew any more details. As I hung up, my thoughts immediately went to his children, a boy and a girl, both in their twenties. As shocked and saddened as I was, I could not imagine what they were experiencing.

Daddy’s youngest sister was one of my favorite aunts. She was out-going, full of laughter and funny stories. She and my uncle were the center of any family gathering when they pulled out their ukuleles and regaled us with song.  Although they were both gone now, they had left the world three fine young adults. Luke was their older son.  I knew him as a smart, sweet  little boy; I knew little of the man he had become.

I knew that Luke was well-educated; he had PhD’s in  Cellular & Molecular Biology and in Pharmacology and was founder and managing partner in a consulting firm in California. On a whim, I typed his name in a search engine and was surprised when page after page detailed his work and accomplishments.

Luke was divorced; his Facebook page portrays him as a fun, nature-loving guy, surrounded by friends whether hiking or at a formal dinner. His daughter lived and worked in Europe; his son, a recent graduate, was just beginning a new job. Photos show him with a black lab; I had to wonder if he still had her and what would happen to her.

My initial reaction to the news was shock. Somehow, it is one thing to acknowledge the passing of older relatives and peers; it is quite another to face the death of a cousin, especially one younger than yourself. It reminds me of my own mortality and the uncertainty. I wonder if he had had problems prior to his death? I wonder how his children are coping. Mostly I wonder if he still had his dog and what she must feel. I feel so sad for his children; I know they are devastated. Photos show them as a loving family and I can imagine many happy times when they were together.

Luke was born when I was eleven years old. I was delighted! Even though they lived hundreds of miles away and it would be months before I would see him, I was excited to have a new cousin. I was an only child and lived next door to my paternal grandparents. It was always a treat when cousins came to visit them for that meant I had playmates! 

In due time, they visited and I was enchanted with him. On the edge of twelve, going on twenty, I imagined myself an adult and this my own little child.  There is nothing quite like imagination! His sister, Kate, followed the next year or so and then little brother, Mark. I loved them all.

When Mark was still a baby, their father became ill and faced a long recuperation. Luke and Kate, both under, 5 spent the summer with my Grandparents. I was in my element!  Baby-sitting was no hardship; I volunteered.  I fed, bathed, dressed and rocked them. I made up stories and games to keep them entertained. They followed me around like little ducks and I adored them and the attention.

Over the next few years, the family visited at least annually, often in the summer.  One year, Daddy took Luke and me fishing. Daddy showed Luke how to bait the hook and cast into the pond. Time after time, he pulled his line in empty. None of us were catching anything!  Suddenly the sun disappeared behind dark clouds, the wind began to blow and it began to sprinkle.  Luke wanted desperately to catch a fish. Daddy was just as determined that he would. And just as it began to rain in earnest, a fish bit!  I don’t know who was more excited – Luke or Daddy or me!  Then I got a bite!  Suddenly fish were biting as soon as the hook hit the water! We pulled in fish after fish, even after giving up baiting the hooks!  It didn’t matter that we were soaking wet, we were having fun. Finally, Daddy declared that we had enough fish for supper, so we packed up and headed home, with a cooler full of fish and one very happy little boy.

The last visit I had with Luke, he came with Mama and Daddy to pick me up at the bus station. I was in nursing school and had the weekend off. I did what every other nursing student did with a free weekend – I headed home!  No one had told me that they had come for a visit, so I was surprised when Luke jumped out of the car and ran to greet me.  In the car, he announced that he was hungry and would really like to have a “hambooger and milkshake.”  He was 8; everything he said was funny and dear.

After I graduated nursing school, I married and moved further away. After that I was rarely home at the same time Luke and his family were there.  The few times we were there together, I was “too old” to be of any  interest to him and he was too busy playing with cousins his own age. Then he grew up. He went away to school, then moved to California, married and started his own family. We lost track of each other.

A few years ago, I was delighted to discover him on Facebook. I sent him a message and we became ‘Friends.’ Since then, we have kept in touch, exchanging emails and commenting on each other’s posts. It was good to re-connect with him and I am glad we were able to know each other as adults. I think he would have been a good friend.

Luke was only 57 years old, the same age as Daddy was when he died. Daddy had battled heart disease for 20 years prior to his death; Luke probably didn’t know he had heart disease.

Even though we were not close, Luke’s passing has left me with an empty spot inside. We were family; we both have/had the same blood running through our veins. And now he is gone. I will visit my grandchildren again; Luke will never know the joy of holding a grandchild.

Luke’s death reminds me that, whether soon or late, we all die. As Buddah said, “The trouble is, you think you have time.”

21 August 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment